Thursday 23 April 2009

Best bedroom environment for a better sleep

Your bedroom environment may be contributing to your sleep pattern problems or insomnia. The answer to an improved sleep may be as subtle as creating some minor changes to your bedroom. Have a little look round the bedroom and see if you spot anything that may be disrupting your sleep. A few pointers below to help you, even if you don't have sleep problems they can help give you an even better sleep.

For the best sleep environment your bedroom should be as dark as possible, quiet, a comfortable temperature and lots of fresh air.

Is your bedroom dark enough? If you wake during the night do you wonder if it is morning as it seems quite light, yet when you look it's still the early hours. As spoken about previously light depletes melatonin sending your brain the message it's time to wae up. If this is so blackout blinds or curtains could be the solution. I have these as I live in a close with no road just a grass and walking area and have a great big street lamp in front of my bedroom window. They can be expensive and if you're handy with a needle you can buy blackout backs for your existing curtains. I got mine for £5.00 years ago, a bargain when I was a nurse for day sleeping, they aren't the nicest curtains but they keep the light out. If this isn't practical an eye mask could also help.

Is your bedroom quiet? Does noise disturb your sleep, neighbours talking, loud televisions or music from downstairs or neighbours, traffic noise? You can ask people in your home to keep the noise to a minimum external noise you don't really have control of the volume. You can try white noise, a fan, a recording of soothing sounds such as waves, rainfall, birds although the latter would drive me round the bend. Earplugs may help, try the soft spongy ones I find them more comfortable. You should still be able to hear the alarm if it's a loud one.

Is your bedroom the right temperature? It is difficult sleeping in a hot stuffy room or a freezing cold draughty bedroom. I personally find keeping the bedroom slightly cooler best for me and I have the window open as often as possible as I hate condensation and love fresh air. If you room is too warm even with the window open a fan can help circulate air. Try not to sleep next to a draught though as this can give you a crick in the neck. Although don't know if that's true just something my mum always says and she tells me she's never wrong.